Microsoft Publisher can be used to create documents that need to be printed. If you require that a document have a bleed effect, please use the information below to set up your document using Publisher 2010. For reference, please click on our description of a bleed document to see what a document should look like when it is ready to be printed. To output to a PDF, you can install PDF creation software (we recommend www.cutepdf.com if you don’t have the Adobe suite) to generate a printable PDF.
1. Start a new document. For this example, let’s work with an 8.5″ x 11″ size.
2. Place the image or graphic across the page. Be sure the bleed image extends beyond the final size (8.5″ x 11″). We recommend the bleed image extends at least 0.125″ beyond the edge of the page. Some prefer to alter the page size temporarily by 0.125″ all around (8.75″ x 11.25″) to see where the bleed image will be positioned. If you do this, remember to change the document back to 8.5″ x 11″ before you print.
3. Ensure CutePDF is installed. Then go to File > Print and select “CutePDF” as the printer.
4. Then with CutePDF writer selected, click the Printer window again and go all the way down to “Advanced Output Settings …”
5. On the “Separations” tab, select “Composite CMYK” next to “Print colors as:”
6. On the “Marks and Bleeds” tab, click on “Allow bleeds.” Make sure “Crop marks” is also selected. Click “OK” to move on.
7. Staying in the print window, click on “Printer Properties.” Press the “Advanced …” button on the lower right of the window.
8. We want to make room for the bleed and crops, so press the “Edit custom page size.” Change the page size 1″ larger than your finished size. Enter 9.5″ x 12″ next to width and height. Click “OK” all the way through to the print dialog window. You should see the image with crops and bleeds on the right.
9. Press the “Print” button. You will be asked to name the PDF—and you should be finished. Here is a sample of a document with the bleed setup properly.
If you still need printing help, please contact us. Accent Printing Solutions offers larger poster printing services. The bleeds and crops concept still applies to larger prints.